Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bubblie Pies from Pern

"The Dragon Riders of Pern" was my first set of fantasy novels and I still enjoy reading stories of Pern.  In "The Harper Hall" trilogy we get some of the best looks at what they call "gathers" and a popular dessert snack called "bubblie pies".  As an adult I decided I wanted to try and create these bubblie pies myself, only to find out it had already been done.  "The Dragon Lover's Guide to Pern" by Joan Nye with Anne McCaffery included this, as well as other recipes from Pern.

The recipe falls into the "medivelish" catagory.  The ingrediants were all available as was the method of cooking.  To prove this, I once entered this into a medieal cooking contest as a joke. (my real entry was lamb roast stuffed with gingered apples). Unfortunately (sort of) the judges of our event that year had sweet tooths (sweet teeth?) and I was named "Grand Champion" for my bubblie pies and not even a nod to my roast. (I was a bit disappointed, to say the least.  The bubblie pies were a JOKE, for heaven's sake :P)

This recipe makes 6 tarts, that are 5" in diameter.

Crust
1/2 cup of butter
2tb sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 ts salt
1/2 cup cold water

Cut butter in chunks.  Combine dry ingredients. Work in butter with a fork.  Sprinkle with water, mix in. Divide into 12 balls and roll out.

Filling
5 cups blueberries (or 20oz frozen) or any berry [I used a mixture of raspberries, blackberries and blueberries]
1 cup sugar
1/4 ts cinnamon
2ts lemon juice
1-2 tb butter

Gently toss berries with sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Sprinkle juice over mixture.  Spoon into crust, dot with butter. Cover with top crust.  Bake 15-20 minutes at 350.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment